Paul Exner // Surviving Hurricane Irma & Sailing to Hawaii
EPIC PLAN ...
TWO STEPS FORWARD … no turning back!
Preparations continue, as we race toward the start of the BVI to Hawaii Expedition Series, departing February 21st. Many tasks to complete, but major progress has been made. Without hesitation, we remain confident in the plan. Solstice’s NEW SL Seatiger 555 windlass arrived (more on that later)! New and refurbished pulpits to be re-installed mid-morning today. NEW MONITOR wind-vane also arrived and awaits installation. Solstice is coming back ... her strength and beauty are renewed.
THE WORLD KEEPS TURNING … life-changing effort required.
Without a doubt, our plan is challenging … it’s simple enough to sail from the BVI to Hawaii (or NOT) but to purchase a Hawaiian Corporation with Commercial Marine Permits, relocate the family halfway around the globe, and mount a Sailing Expedition Series covering 6,200 miles at the same time is doable, but requires immense accuracy and near flawless execution. If we had a year to plan something like this it would be a lot easier, but we’re racing the Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season which begins 15 May, 2018. The Solstice “re-fit” resulting from Hurricane IRMA’s wrath still must be completed … THEN, we’ve got three months beginning February 21st to sail Solstice through the Panama Canal, and northwestward along the Pacific coast of Central America to Cabo San Lucas, followed-by sailing a 22-day ocean passage to Hawaii while hurricanes potentially nip at our heels, arriving in Honokohau, HI on May 20, 2018.